Thursday, October 16, 2008

Fear...

Found this letter/series of thoughts/whatever during one of my recent blog surfs. There's just something about it that really struck a chord within me.
.
.
.

A sense of urgency concerning life has caused much thought as to what I am to do with this life of mine.
Countless nights speeding recklessly down the streets of anxiety fueled by fear.
Fear.
But what am I to fear, but God himself.
I will tell you what I fear - despite the fact that it will seem irrational to many.
I fear the day I die…and wake up.
I fear the words spoken to me:“Why did you let fear be the author of your story?”.
From this place is where I begin again.
Whether you believe in God or not, I pray for you.
May you begin to move through life with a new urgency.
May there be seasons of motion, simply, for the sake of motion.
May there be seasons of motion for the gain of certain goals.
Goals that hopefully involve more than a 401k and a house you will spend a lifetime paying off.
May a vision of life be impressed upon your heart that disarms you of useless desires.
May you write that book, record that album, share those poems scribbled on napkins…
Paint that canvas, photograph your community through your lens
.…Or may you simply love.
Love not for the benefit of the recipient of your actions, but Love for the sake of your soul.
It is good to give - It is good to love.
We need you.
We need you to exchange fear for unbridled passion for life.
We need you to engage with those around you and share your passions for life
.…So begin. And never fear to begin again.

Grace and Peace,
-Daley
.
.
.


"Love not for the benefit of the recipient of your actions, but Love for the sake of your soul."


Loving "for the sake of your soul", and "not for the "benefit of the recipient of your actions".


Really? Is this what it should be?


Loving does do something to and FOR your soul. But what is the primary purpose?


I guess I've always been the guy who really wanted to love for the benefit of the recipient(s) of my actions, and getting myself burnt as a result...


Could it be nothing more than a one way exchange...



Anyhow the writer (Daley), is an awesome photographer. Please check out his blog (http://daleyhake.com/blog/), where I got that excerpt from. I love his photos... the way he captures people. Every single photo makes me wonder what the person's story is......

No comments: